Ideas to inspire...
The original windshield was old, scratched and just plain tired. I did some research and came up with this site: motorcyclistcafe.com. The gentleman had this to say: "The following is how I was taught how to work out scratches, and surface hazing from plastic windscreens. I've been in the boatbiz for over 30 years but this here trick I learned from a gent back in 75' who worked on commercial aircraft as the windows in jets are plastic. It has served me well over the years."
Well, I was keen to give his method a go and I did. However, I think the guy has a magic touch because no matter how much work I put into it, the results were less than crystal clear. By this time I had pretty much destroyed the original windshield and it was time to move onto plan B.
First, I took the opportunity to polish up the silverware. The above picture is a before shot. However, it cleaned uo very nicely.
Then it was time for play B; make a new shield. The above picture shows a sheet of polycarb. One side of the sheet has a UV coating. The material is easily damaged so it pays to take some care when handling.
The first step was to mark out the new polycarb sheet. This was an opportunity to redesign the windshield altogether. However, on my rides, I had discovered that the shield worked really well. As such, I used the old windshield as a template. The material is flexible and flattens out and it's easy to trace around it with a marker.
I made sure the floor was clean before laying down the sheet. The tiniest of particles can easily put a dent in the material so it is important to make sure the surfaces are clean.
The next stage was cutting out the shield. I made sure that I did a section at a time and that the sheet was fixed to table securely. A jigsaw slices through the polycarb easily and I took my time working my around the marked surface. The cutting process creates a lot of small debris. So each time I shifted the sheet, I cleaned the table to make sure the tiny pieces didn't dig into the sheet.
Once the shield had been cut out, I drilled the holes for the fixings.
The final step was to clean up the edges. A fine grade sandpaper followed by some buffing did the job.
Applying the silverware to the shield and refitting the shield to the bike were the final stages. Only one side of the polycarb has the UV coating and that side needs to face out. I removed the protective film from the top side. I also used a largish cushion to help shape the shield as I applied the fixings. As the surface is easily scratched, I had to work carefully. The pictures tell the story.
And that's all there is to it. A brand new crystal clear windshield just like a bought one - only better because I can say I made it.
I had plenty of polycarb left so it was time to take care of the lowers.Read on...
I needed to travel up north to Hamilton. The reason for going was to join the search and rescue effort to locate a beloved family member who had gone missing. However, that's a whole different story for another time. I took this opportunity to ride up...
Wellington, New Zealand on a beautiful day is unbeatable. The call to get on the bike and ride, irresistable. A ride from Upper Hutt to Wellington and round the bays...
Page Views: 1556