Ideas to inspire...
For the roof, I used Solasafe polycarbonate corrugated sheeting. I chose this material because it is tough, provides for 99% UV protection and has a lifetime warranty. You can get this material in different colours.
I also used self tapping fixings. I was mindful of the prevailing wind when doing the overlap of the sheets. My initial spacings of the fixings was too wide (as per the pictures). On a windy day, this had the effect of simulating being in an aircraft readying itself for takeoff. Later I doubled the number of fixings to solve this problem.
Up to this point, I didn't really know how I was going to build the front section. My original design hadn't really taken into account the wind factor and it wasn't my original intention to build windows. I also wanted the front section to be removalable and up to this moment I hadn't quite worked out how I was going to achieve this. It was a good moment to take a few days off to contemplate. Here's out it finally came together.
Remove one coach bolt, two nuts/bolts, two slide bolts and the entire front section comes away.
Because I was going to end up having windows, the original gate now became a full sized door. I built window framing for the front and back. These would be fixed windows.
The door had to close automatically. I tried using a spring to do this job. However, this worked poorly no matter how I set it. Using a weighted system is simple, allows you to open the door fully and just works. In addition, it's the most use this weight has ever got.
Continue to glazing and windows
Page Views: 2287